Workingmen's

Workingmen's

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Reflections

     I have found this quarter's class to be highly inspirational and interesting. I had not read 'proletariat literature' in the same way before this class. Locating the laborer, the proletariat, as the author and speaker works to tell history in a honest and truth telling way. This I have found to be so inspiring, especially in light of civil unrest and thinking about how to act. Many of the works we have read this quarter speak to the hard, relentless life of an exploited labor class.
     I am moved by thinking about the physicality of this work. To imagine the hardships and danger present in these people's lives, and to imagine the courage it takes to work against the grain of asymmetrical power systems to stay alive, let alone to write beautiful works of literature is truly humbling. It makes me think about the thousands, millions of people who have been killed by radicalized capitalism, which highlights the urgency and importance of this work.
     I also really love the aspect of proletariate literature that highlights a coming to consciousness and a personal growth. I think that not only is this element important for the communities it is made from and for, but it allows for readers from other communities to think about their own coming to consciousness, their own histories, and where their own growth and direction will take them. This is hugely helpful for sparking social change both for the healing and politicization of marginalized communities but also for the privileged academics who read the literature.
      Lastly, as a photographer I have found this course's discussion of the socially produced 'stranger' 'alien' 'other' hugely helpful and inspirational. I celebrate people and space.  Where people live, how people occupy and use space, and the things people use and leave behind are central themes and questions guiding my work. I use portraiture to tell stories of people who have been historically under or misrepresented; consent and trust-building are essential principles in my photograph making. Thinking through the systems that produce lived experience makes me really highlight my role in honoring people who have been dishonored by the state and mainstream media for thousands of years. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're applying these concepts beyond literature and towards your passion. As a photographer with that type of inspiration and motive and understanding, you have the power to compel and bring change. Always enjoyed hearing your input during class discussions as well.

    ReplyDelete