Workingmen's

Workingmen's

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Reflection

Signing up for this class I had a minimal understanding of what the focus of the class would be on. I knew there was much more knowledge I needed to grasp race and labor especially when it came to other groups besides the usual concentration of African American's and Latino laborers. As the class progressed I realized I had no knowledge of race, labor, and migration as all intersecting concepts. This class concentrated on a lot of different aspects of all the ideas from different races, oppressed and oppressors, and sexes, which breaks these concentration into deeper ideas that I had never even thought of. Combination of proletariat Literature, articles, and class discussions I was able to have multiple times an eye opening to ideas that I would haven't even thought of as sources that lead on to political problems we have today. 
From Kindred's brutal details of the haunting life as a slave to Bulosan's true account of the horrific obstacles he went through I was able to get a better perception of the challenges that a person of color had to endure long before regulations for migrant workers had developed. Of course there is a long way to go before any sort of equality is spread along all people in this country but there I had seemed to miss the intensity of the brutality people had to go through before getting where we are today, I didn't realize I was even lacking this knowledge until this class. I got a better understanding of  people that have been fighting for what seem basic rights to me now and the fact that these struggles and changes where happening not too long before I even became a member of this world. Being able to go to school and not having to fight to be where I am but was an actual option for me to even go to school seems like something that I have never given much thought about, about how much effort it came from the Latino, women and women of color voices. 
I learned trails and tribulations from different groups around the world whether it be from a specific country, sex, or age. I saw that when people are oppressed and get together there is a difference that can be made. This difference is not necessarily made within one attempt to change or even within a decade of trying, there is serious work and thought that goes into any attempts of change and bettering for people. This class was insanely informative and there were so many voices and individuals that enriched the whole learning process which made observing that much more elevating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment