Workingmen's

Workingmen's

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Modern Political Racism in Illegal Immigration Propaganda



When I was searching around for an image for this assignment I used I simple search term, "illegal aliens" What I couldn't help but notice while browsing through was an inordinate amount of images pairing illegal immigration and the democratic party. This image is interesting to me not so much in its content, though I can say some words on that. What is interesting to me is how the "illegal immigrant" is framed against the white Republican. It goes back to our class discussions on how minstrelsy was successful (potentially used, but lets not go down that rabbit hole) in segmenting the white laboring class against the black laboring class through its blackface performances. Much how whiteness was defined by its distancing or opposition to blackness, the white conservative is defined by it opposition and alienation of the immigrant by tying them to the opposing democratic party. By segmenting the populace by arbitrary ideological groups the upper class more easily manipulates the lower.

“Divide and Conquer”

No comments:

Post a Comment